The Truth Will Set You Free

Jesus told the people who had faith in him, "If you keep on obeying what I have said, you truly are my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Nooma

Well, several of us from church got together and started a new small group this past Sunday. We are using Rob Bell's Nooma videos as a discussion starter, but our aim isn't to just have another group that talks about things, we want to make a difference in the Kingdom of God. Our goal is to learn how to be real followers of Jesus, not just believers in Him. As Rob Bell puts it in one of the videos, we want to be covered by the dust of our Rabbi, Jesus Christ. It seems that too many of us get worked up about what you're supposed to believe when you become a Christian, and not enough of us take the time to discover how to really live as Christians.

In Mark 10, the rich young man asks Jesus what he must do to gain eternal life. I used to believe that he meant "How do I get into heaven"? But go re-read that passage, and it's parallels in Matthew & Luke. Look closely at Jesus' answer to him. If his question meant "How do I get into heaven?", then I would expect Jesus to say "Repent and believe in Me".

But that's not what Jesus tells him. He says "Go, sell everything you have and give it to the poor, and then you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." I wonder if what Jesus was really telling him is how to live in God's Kingdom here and now. Jesus concern is so often for the poor, the widows, the orphans. How can we claim to be like our Rabbi and not show the same concern for the marginalized in our world? When Jesus says to us "Come, Follow Me" are we prepared to obey Him?          

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We used the Nooma films in my young adults class. Great material and great discussions.

I really like your goal of learning to be real followers of Jesus, instead of just filling your brains with more information.

Transformation, not just information.

Anonymous said...

Letting the Lord work through you is not an easy task. The sacrafices are great, especially in this money oriented society. I truly believe with all of my heart that I am doing what is right, but it is definitely not easy. Especially when 99.9% of the people surrounding me don't even get it. Having a group with you is probably a better way to deal with it. Support is essential.
Of course you will always have the love and support of the Lord, but your faith will be tested in so many ways that having support here in this place helps too.