The Truth Will Set You Free

Jesus told the people who had faith in him, "If you keep on obeying what I have said, you truly are my disciples. You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:31-32

Monday, October 30, 2006

Goodbye Grandpa

My grandfather, Al Petri, Sr. died today. I never spent enough time with him. It seems that life is too short and we never have enough time to spend with those we love. He was a good man, a first generation Hungarian American. He was a man of integrity, loyalty, and, most of all, faith. He taught us how to love and how to live. I am really going to miss him. He loved God and was active in his church. He attended St. Francis Xavier in Ecorse and served there for many years in many different ways.

I am his namesake. I was born July 9th, which was my grandparent's anniversary. When my dad left the hospital that day, he left assuming that my name was David. My grandfather stopped by after Dad left and tried to convince Mom that since I was born on his anniversary, I should be Al III instead. And if you knew my grandfather, you wouldn't be surprised that he was able to change his daughter in-law's mind. So I am, and have been ever since, Al Petri, III.

When I was a young teenager, Grandpa would take me for summer vacation to the lake or the KOA Campground in Dundee. Once, we drove out west to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, the Wild West! The time we spent at the Grand Canyon will forever be etched on my mind.

He and my grandmother cared about family. They started our bicycle shop as a family business 60 years ago this year. Grandpa would work at the factory during the day while Grandma would pack up the babies and bring them to the bike shop, waiting on customers, unpacking orders, doing the bookkeeping.  After finishing his work at the factory, Grandpa would come in while the shop was closed and do the service work. We have had 5 generations of Petri's work at the shop my grandparents founded, a true family legacy.

I know that you are no longer suffering, that God has truly healed you now, the way only He can. We will all miss you, and we love you. Goodbye, Grandpa.    

1 comment:

Mark said...

Al,

Our prayers and thoughts are with you. Your family has lost its patriarch and that is a huge blow. Personally, you've lost your namesake, the founder of your business, your mentor--someone whose life has been intertwined with yours for longer than you can remember. I'm thankful that he is at rest in the arms of Jesus. And I know he's loving on your David for you. But I also know this hurts and I hurt with you. I'm praying God's comfort and blessings on you and the entire Petri clan. You have a such a tight-knit family, and I'm sure Grandpa had a lot to do with making it so.